The number of liters of water to drink per day depends on individual needs. While 2 liters could be enough for you daily, they might be barely enough for another person.
No formula fits everyone when it comes to water.
Your daily water needs depend on several factors, including health, diet, level of activity, gender, sex, age and climate.
What's in this Guide?
- How Much Water Do You Require?
- Why is it Important to Drink Water Daily?
How Much Water Do You Require?
Health experts recommend that adults drink 8 x 8 oz glasses of water daily. But this only works for some.
Some experts also believe that you need to sip on water throughout the day, even when you are not thirsty.
The U.S National Academies of Sciences recommend 2.7 liters (11.5) cups of water a day for women and 3.7 liters (15.5 cups) for men.
As aforementioned, the amount of water you require is based on several factors. They include:
- Exercise – If you work out a lot or are very active during the day, you will need more water than someone who rarely exercises.
- Overall health – If you have a fever, urinary infection or vomiting, your body loses fluids. As such, you need to drink more water.
- Temperature – When it is hot, people tend to sweat a lot. You will need to drink more water in hotter months than in cooler ones.
- Diet – If you drink a lot of caffeinated beverages like coffee, you lose a lot of water through extra urination. You will also have to drink more water if your meals are usually high in spices, salt or sugar.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding – If pregnant or nursing a baby, you need more water to stay hydrated.
Why is it Important to Drink Water Daily?
Water keeps all parts of your body working efficiently. It maintains your body’s temperature and can help flush toxins as well.
Water can also prevent lingering headaches, kidney stones and constipation.
Your body is made up of 60% water. This water is lost throughout the day through sweat, urine and bowel movement.
You, therefore, need to drink enough water daily to replace the lost fluid to stay healthy. Fail to do so, and you will become dehydrated.
How do you know if you are drinking enough water?
You will know that you are drinking enough water if you rarely feel thirsty or if your urine is pale yellow.
You can also consult a doctor to help determine the amount of water you should drink daily to stay hydrated.
Do you have to drink water only to stay hydrated?
Although water is the best and most healthy choice to keep you hydrated, it is not the only option. You can get enough fluid from leafy vegetables and fruits such as spinach, lettuce and watermelon.
Beverages such as iced tea, herbal teas, milk, fruit juices and soda can contribute to your daily water intake.
However, you should go easy on sugary drinks like soda as they contain added sugar and artificial flavors, which can do more harm than good.
What are the benefits of drinking water daily?
Water helps you eliminate waste from your body through stool, urine and sweat. It also keeps your body safe from overheating (maintains normal body temperature).
Water cushions your joints, transports nutrients to all parts of the body, protects delicate body tissues and improves your brain function.
Can I drink too many liters of water?
You should not drink too much water at a go, as this can lead to water intoxication. The condition can lead to life-threatening problems such as seizures and coma.
Does drinking enough water help prevent health problems?
Drinking enough water every day comes brings man health benefits. It helps with constipation, prevents recurring urinary tract infections, kidney stones and leads to better skin hydration.